Monday 26 September 2011

9/25/2011 - "Betty Ann Ong"

Had I realised I would have made this post on the 21st which on that day in 2001 members of the Chinese American community of San Francisco gathered in a small park along with Mayor Willie Brown who declared the day "Betty Ong Day"


Betty Ann Ong, a flight attendant on American Airlines Flight 11 which was flown in to the North Tower in the September 11th attacks, became the voice of Flight 11 with the audio recording of her phone call to the American Airlines operation centre replayed in many 9/11 documentaries as a first hand account of the hijackings.


"My name is Betty Ong. I'm No. 3 on Flight 11 ... I don't know, but I think we're getting hijacked"

A boy points to the name of Betty Ann Ong on the North Reflecting Pool
A set of American Airlines Air-Wings placed as a tribute by a visitor to the memorial
rests on the name of Betty Ann Ong on the North Reflecting Pool

No comments:

Post a Comment